Navigation

Friday, February 26, 2010

Bootleg Manga!?

It would seem that Nick Simmons, who is Gene Simmons' (lead singer of KISS) son, made a comic called Incarnate which it's art looks a lot like the highly popular manga series by Tite Kubo: Bleach
It was brought to the world's attention by user "Tetsujiin" from the
GameFaq Boards a few days ago and now news of this has spread like wildfire across the net.
Fans of the Bleach series spent much time trying to let Tite Kubo know of this startling news.
He responded to the news with two Tweets:
"Last night until this morning, I got a ton of "an American comic is copying Bleach!" messages from overseas fans! Looking at the site I don't speak English, but I saw something like "Gene Simmons' son Nick Simmons who draws manga-style comics."

Honestly, more than whether they remble each other or not, I wonder that Gene Simmons' son is a mangaka..."

As for my thoughts on the matter, you can see in the above picture there's difinitely a resemblance. I can understand being inspired by an artist and how your art can be influenced by that artist, because as an artist myself this happens to me too. But seeing that the panels,characters,and even the dialog are nearly identical, there is difinitely something fishy. I wasn't totally convinced that Nick Simmoms plagiarized Bleach since I thought was influenced by Tie Kudo's style until I saw a post on Live Journal that has a whole lot of comparison pictures between the two and how similar they look.
It's a real shame, I think the story had a lot of potential and could've been a real hit.

What a rip-off!

No comments:

Post a Comment