Navigation

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Iron Man 2 Minimates Review: James Rhodes in Mark II Armor and Black Widow

For those of you who don't know what Minimates are:Minimates are 2 inch Lego-like action figures that have 14 points of articulation, have interchangeable parts, and have various lines like Marvel, Ghost Busters, Star Trek, and more to choose from.

This pack is from the Toys R Us assortment that contains four different packs including two exclusives that are not available anywhere else.
Today I will be reviewing the second Toys R Us exclusive pack that comes with
James Rhodes in Mark II Armor and Black Widow

Click the "Read More" Button to see what I think and for more pictures.

James Rhodes in Mark II Armor
 This is Tony Stark's close friend Lt. Colonel James Rhodes in the Mark II Iron Man Armor.
 It's very detailed and has many newly sculpted parts.
The only parts that aren't sculpted are the head, lower arms, and torso. I really like how they did that. It's like a miniature version of say... a Hasbro action figure.
One thing that bothers me is that he's a bit bow-legged, but doesn't seem to be too noticeable in the pictures.
I love how the Armor looks in Silver.

Surprisingly it's not really the Mark II Armor. It's more of a repaint of the Mark IV Armor (which I'll be reviewing soon).
The Mark II is Tony's second Iron Man Armor he made in the first Iron Man movie after he escaped the terrorist that held him captured and wanted him to make them weapons.
The Mark II was released in the first Iron Man movie wave and was the variant on that wave 2 years ago when the movie came out
There are some differences between the two.
Mark II (2008 Release) on the rigth is more of a bright silver and has dot details while this year's release of the Mark II (2010) on the left is color is more of a muted silver color.
There Armors are quite different if you look at the picture above.
Also the new version isn't Tony. It's a whole new character.
This year's Armor itself is slightly in-accurate to how it appeared in the first film then it's previous release.
Even with that, I still like it a lot.
There's a new feature they added and it's really cool.
 They gave another helmet that has the face plated flipped up so as to the person's face inside the helmet.
This adds a little more playability to the Minimate, especially if you've seen some of the cool Iron Man 2 trailers. The face is also nicely detailed too.

Black Widow 
Here we have the S.H.I.E.L.D. super spy who comes in to spy on Tony Stark, but later becomes and ally of him and James.
Natasha Romanov (the Black Widow) is played by  
Scarlett Johansson, who's totally hot (In My Opinion), and I don't say that about many actresses. I think she's a good pick to play the part of the Black Widow, though comic book fans were disappointed that she doesn't have a Russian accent like the character in the comics. I could care less about that.
On to the Minimate itself,
I believe her likeness has translated well in Minimate form.
She's nicely detailed and has some nice accessories like gauntlets,a belt with holster (which restricts the left leg's movement somewhat) , and a small pistol (be careful not to lose it). 
She has newly sculpted hair the accessories are also new.
The S.H.I.E.L.D. logo can be seen on both of her shoulders, which is a nice touch.
One thing that's a bit odd is her torso and leg details can be hard to see depending on where the light's coming from. But it's not a big deal.

Overall it's a nice pack that comes a nice set of Minimates which I would recomend to those who
  • Missed out on the first Mark II
  • Want to add another armor to their growing Iron Man Minimate collections
  • Want Minimates from the new Iron Man movie
  • Want Black Widow (as seen in the movie)
  • Want to complete there cast of Iron Man 2 Characters..

When I saw pictures of this pack, I believed this was one pack I couldn't miss out on since I want to have all the main character's from the movie and I don't mind having another Armor to add to my Hall of Armors.
It's definitely a pack I'm glad I didn't miss it.

I hope you enjoyed reading my review as much as I did writing it.

Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.

Be sure to come back soon for more Iron Man goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment